30.7.06

Slashie, Slashie!

Click on the above title for a slideshow of how I spent my weekend.

Kung fu camp is always a good time, everyone is having a good time, the workout is intense, the setting is pristine. This year was no exception. This year added a couple little twists.

The form I learned this year was Continuous Broadsword. My first sword form, I was psyched to start swashbuckling my way across the field. The broadsword is tough. Lots of wrist strength and flexibility is needed, especially to flower. Allow Dan, a younger red sash (soon to be black sash) student, demonstrate:



Practicing that was fun. Here I am attempting to do what Dan does:



OK, yeah, I'm working on it. Anyway, after a late dinner, a few of us "ne'er do wells" decide to knock back a few cold ones. After getting pushed around by people wanting to sleep, we set up in the Tai Chi Field, used for the next morning (5:30 to be precise) practice. Sitting there, having a good time, but where are the stars? They were there a minute ago, right? What's that? A raindrop? Ah, let it pass. WOOSH! The skies open upon us and drench everything. Still cognesant that we have to keep the field free of bottles for the morning, we pack up and bolt for the safety of our tents. Except mine had no sleeping bag. Luckily, the buzz I had gave me about 4 - 5 hours of sleep.

So, the next day I'm going over the form, trying to do a toe kick/sword slash combo and I end up being my own target. In bare feet. Great. A little tape and I'm up on my feet, but the rest of the day was spent gingerly balancing on one foot.

No comments: